The Defence Headquarters has denied media reports that US Marines have arrested a prominent member of the Boko Haram sect. The reports came on the heels of the arrival in the country, of foreign intelligence and security personnel from the US, UK and France, in concerted efforts to rescue the over 200 school girls abducted by insurgents on April 14th.
In a statement signed by its Director of Information, Chris Olukolade, the DHQ said none of the foreign securityallies have made any arrests or carried out any operation in the country, adding that the pictures being circulated by national dailies and online to illustrate the claims in the story, are not related to the situation in Nigeria as they were taken from scenes in other countries.
“Indeed, no troop of the American Marines has so far been deployed in any part of Nigeria as is being circulated in certain media.
“International coalition is quite appropriate in handling terrorism being a trans-border and global crime. The public will be duly briefed on the areas of collaboration with allied forces in the mission to bring back our girls as the need arises. There is therefore no need to engage in misleading speculations while the mission is in progress”, Olukolade, a Major General, said in the statement issued on Saturday.